Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hpottrn

White Flies

hpottrn
19 years ago

I have an infestation of white flies on my hibiscus that I noticed 2 days ago. I have it as a houseplant. I tried the dishsoap water and the hose, but it didn't help. Would it help to cut it back?---Thanks, Heidi

Comments (6)

• andrea_san_diego
    19 years ago

I hate whitefiles!! Heidi I don't think you need to cut it back yet. Continue using the dishsoap and hose method once a week for 3-4 weeks. Also, purchase a bag of worm castings and liberally work it into the soil. Worm castings are a soil conditioner that strenghtens the plant so that it can fend off the whitflies. Another product to get is Bayer Tree & Shrub Insect Killer. It is a systemic product that the plant takes in through the roots and travels throughout the branches and leaves to protect the plant from insects. I've found that Bayer's new products are quite good. Whiteflies are hard to get rid of but you have to be persistant. I've used this method on my outside hibiscus and the whiteflies don't last long.

Andrea

• hpottrn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Andrea! I hated to cut it back because it finally is looking nice and full and has been flowering. Thanks again!----Heidi

• watergal
    19 years ago

The Bayer's products are great but are not labelled for use indoors. I use the Rose & Flower spray on my hibiscus that are indoors for the winter, but I take them outside on a mild day, spray, and wait for it to dry before they come back inside. Better safe than sorry! I wrote to the Bayer's folks, and they don't have any product with imidacloprid (that's the great ingredient against whiteflies and several other pests) that is OK to use indoors, just outside.

I have heard good things about an organic product called Organocide (not sure of spelling) but I haven't tried it yet. Neem oil is also safe to use indoors - I have used it but it doesn't last as long as the Bayer.

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

Heidi, is your hib in a container or outdoors?
    I found the perfect, non-toxic solution.
    2 winters ago many of my houseplants had whitefly. W/over 400 plants, I was devestated. Gardens Alive sent me a catalog, and I found a product that's harmless and can be reused.
    They're called sticky traps. Yellow, cardboard sheets, that attach to plants. The color attracts flying bugs and is trapped by a glue called Tanglefoot. You wouldn't have believed the number of bugs. I'm uncertain if these traps can be used outdoors, but if you go to their site, they might have info.. www.GardensAlive.com BTW, I saved the traps in case the whitefly decided to visit again, but no need..Thank God!! (S) Toni

• tdogmom
    19 years ago

Go with the Earthworm CastingsÂI swear by them. :) We used to have a terrible infestation of White Flies and have cut back considerably with the use of the castingsÂI use the castings regularly in the garden. I also raise Earthworms and use them as wellÂthey can help aerate the soil so they do double duty (no pun intended). :) A farmer told me that the castings are wonderful and she was absolutely correct. A biologist and I were talking about the castings one day and he concurred. I use them in the citrus tree pots (my trees are in pots), with the Plumeria, and EVERYWHERE! Where we once had a lot of White Flies, now we have next to none. Our neighbors' WF problems (that nasty white fluffy stuff) that you can see in the breeze? Not our problem! :) We've mentioned it to them and those who use the castings have seen the difference as well. We don't use pesticides in our garden although my husband does use some systemics for some of his plants because I raise butterfliesÂMy Butterfly Sanctuary is completely and utterly insecticide-free.

• wliu7
    18 years ago

Hi Tdogmom,

Thanks for the suggestion. I brought Earthworm Casting yesterday and used for my Hisbiscuses at once. The WF not only damaged my Hisbiscus, they also hurted my two precious Michelia ALBA.

BTW, how do you grow earthworms? I want to try that too.

Thanks again.

I will let you all informed the result.

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH