Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help

Posted by Baroo2u none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 10:47

I'm not an indoor gardener, but have a hibiscus I've nursed through many moves. This plant is clearly a survivor, and has become a pet--I admire it's will to survive everything military movers throw at it. It's about 12 years old.

The last move resulted in a fall where the trunk cracked. The top of the plant was snapped off & discarded (!) the pot with the stub dumped in the garden. When I arrived from overseas, the plant was already pushing shoots out from the old trunk. I thought it would be ok and left it in DH's care.

On a recent visit, though, I see the smaller shoots have withered and died. The remaining shot is wilting. The only thing I can figure is DH may have over-watered in my absence.

What do I do? Repot it? Or try to rescue the last shoot? I've looked on the internet but have trouble understanding woody vs green propogation and an the wrong action coild just hasten the poor thing's death.

Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help

Baroo2u, I would try to give it some more sun and a light fertilizing to see if that helps. Maybe some filtered sunlight. Hibiscus like moist soil, not wet feet but just enough moisture because they are a tropical plant. I would try that and you will know in the first couple days if it is helping because the leaves will perk up and go towards the sunlight. Keep us posted on how it is going.
Evan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here