Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitha1215

Slow Grower or Cut too short?

kitha1215
18 years ago

I have a hibiscus named, Joanne, I cut it back during the winter because it was frost bitten. However, we're in the spring time now and it hasn't grown much since then; considering the fact that I had also cut back one called, Salmon, and it has grown considerably. Now, I do have a nice group of Snap Dragons growing in front of it and a Calla growing on the side of it--could they be making it harder for the hibiscus to grow or that has nothing to do with it? I don't want to have to wait until fall to see Joanne bloom. What should I do?

Comments (3)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

You may have already done this, but...
    I'd cut back some to see if there's life. Cutting back dead wood won't hurt the plant and it'll help you decide on the care, i.e. shovel prune or feritlize. ;)
    As long as it's getting sunlight and water, I don't thenk the other plants around it would affect it.
    Good luck!
    Barb

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanx

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

I have a hardy hib that was in a pot and left out this winter in zone 9a. It only started re-sprouting from the base of the stem this past week and is now 3 in tall. I think they start out slow and grow like crazy. I had this same kind of plant in a zone 4b in the ground and it always came back in May. I have another one in a pot and it hasn't re-sprouted out yet. I'm just guessing that it needs a little more time. Good luck
    ~SJN

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County