Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easiest Way to Root Cuttings from These Hibiscus?

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 12:09

The tropical is South Pacific Sipper, and I don't know what the variegated one behind it is. I got the South Pacific Sipper yesterday at Lowe's. It has 2 branches that are bent (lower left), and the manager sold it to me at 1/2 price! I can either stake the bent branches until they strengthen, or cut them and root them, and I think that's what I want to do. It doesn't appear to be grafted. Does this one need a root stimulator? I have some Dip-n-Gro that I can use if it would be best.

I don't know what the other one is, but want to have another one, too. I think this one should be pretty easy to root by just putting it in a pot of soil, but can use the Dip-n-Gro on it, too, if it would be better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easiest Way to Root Cuttings from These Hibiscus?

Hello,
I found this to be very useful. This person explains it very well and I like the baggie system. It is a cheap and efficient way for home gardeners.
Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm1LIOyASLs

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Hibiscus

o

Thanks, that's a good clip. I didn't know about putting them in baggies, I'll do it that way.

o

You are welcome. Keep us posted on the results.

With cuttings, you have to minimize water loss by evaporation. See the baggie method retains humidity in a wonderful way and allows light.

Otherwise, you can cut a 2 litre soda bottle & fix it on top of the pot.

o

I am so excited to try this thanks for the link dl99

o

I just got around to watching the video today and then went right outside and did some cuttings. I have my fingers crossed, nothing else I have tried has worked yet. I got my fingers crossed for you too eahamel!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here