Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Easiest Way to Root Cuttings from These Hibiscus?

eahamel
11 years ago

The tropical is South Pacific Sipper, and I don't know what the variegated one behind it is. I got the South Pacific Sipper yesterday at Lowe's. It has 2 branches that are bent (lower left), and the manager sold it to me at 1/2 price! I can either stake the bent branches until they strengthen, or cut them and root them, and I think that's what I want to do. It doesn't appear to be grafted. Does this one need a root stimulator? I have some Dip-n-Gro that I can use if it would be best.

I don't know what the other one is, but want to have another one, too. I think this one should be pretty easy to root by just putting it in a pot of soil, but can use the Dip-n-Gro on it, too, if it would be better.

Comments (5)

• dl99
    11 years ago

Hello,
    I found this to be very useful. This person explains it very well and I like the baggie system. It is a cheap and efficient way for home gardeners.
    Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm1LIOyASLs

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooting Hibiscus

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, that's a good clip. I didn't know about putting them in baggies, I'll do it that way.

• dl99
    11 years ago

You are welcome. Keep us posted on the results.

With cuttings, you have to minimize water loss by evaporation. See the baggie method retains humidity in a wonderful way and allows light.

Otherwise, you can cut a 2 litre soda bottle & fix it on top of the pot.

• anna2u
    10 years ago

I am so excited to try this thanks for the link dl99

• Hibiscus_0bsessed
    10 years ago

I just got around to watching the video today and then went right outside and did some cuttings. I have my fingers crossed, nothing else I have tried has worked yet. I got my fingers crossed for you too eahamel!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz