Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tambo747

need help with inherited Hibiscus

tambo747
15 years ago

Sorry for the previous post. I just figured out how to post a pic properly! I inherited this Hibiscus when I bought my house. It's about 3 years old. Given my research, I believe it to be a rose of sharon. The blooms are blueish. I originally read that it needs to be pruned in the fall, so that is what I did. Now, having read previous threads in this forum, it says to prune in spring. I'm confused? The first year I moved in, it bloomed beautifully. Last summer not as well, but the garden was crammed with plants. I transplanted most of the plants that were near her and left at least 2 feet all around for her to be happy. I would appreciate any help, comments or advice. I'm sorry the picture leaves much to be desired...

Comments (2)

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

The reason you prune in the spring is because you never know how much freeze damage will be done, plus when you prune in the fall if you get any warm weather it may start to put on tender new shoots which just will not like being frozen. You just need to wait for warmer weather to set in before you will see new growth. If you are worried it won't live though another year, save those seeds and start more. They are very easy to sprout.

• tambo747
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tks Wally!
    I pruned my Rose of Sharon a little more last week. I also removed the growth near the base of the left trunk, hope to send more energy to the top. This plant/tree is slow to bud, but I am starting to see a few green buds which make me so happy! As I look at her, I wonder if I should "thin out" some of the branches, in hopes it will bloom/grow better. The branches look crowded to me, but I am not sure.
    Tammy

Sponsored