Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveandlaura_gw

Need more leaves

daveandlaura
15 years ago

Have several varieties of tropical hibiscus and leaves are sparse on all of them. I fertilize with about a 10:4:10 (or thereabouts) and get nice flowers, but would really like more foliage on the plants. Also, they are all potted. Any suggestions to stimulate leaf growth?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments (4)

• nobreyner
    15 years ago

I have the exact same problem with potted hibiscus with few leaves or the look like poodles with leaves on the tips and leaves here and there throughout.

• User
    15 years ago

Stop fertilizing them.
    Just water them well, and mist.
    You will see more leaves.

• jane_tropicalgrower
    15 years ago

I have the same problem with all the leaves at the end of the stems. Leaves seem to yellow and drop very easily. Can a hibiscus be pruned back to encourage more bushy growth?

• hibiscuslover
    15 years ago

Tropical hibiscus only flower on new growth, jane tropicalgrower is absolutely correct. Prune back to encourage new growth. One way to do this is select one or two branches and cut back. In about 6 weeks, pick a few more branches and prune back. In this way, you'll stagger the pruning so the bush doesn't have that flattop look. However, if this seems like too much work, than just cut back all branches, but be prepared for the flowers to be delayed, until the new growth matures.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz