Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lellie_gw

Anyone else eat Hibiscus blooms?

lellie
17 years ago

I have several different colors in my yard.

When they're blooming like crazy, I'll go out and pick a bunch, rinse well, remove everything except the petals and lightly saute them.

Not only are they yummy, tasting a lot like summer squash, but very aesthetically appealing.

(I swear!...I'm not crazy!) LOL

Comments (10)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Yep!
    I make hibiscus tea.
    I'll have to try sauteing them. Sounds yummy.
    Barb

• microfarmer_grower
    17 years ago

I tear off the petals and eat the green nubbin below. Tastes like okra. LOL They are related, you know.

• duajones
    16 years ago

you gotta be kidding me, I had no idea they were edible

• gardeninginjordan
    16 years ago

Hibiscus tea is popular both here in the Middle East (especially Egypt) and in Mexico and the carribean. In Mexican restaurants it will be sold as 'Jamaica'. The brew the tea and add sugar, then add ice and drink it cold. I always thought they used the blossoms, but I read the other day that they use the seed pods. See Hibiscus sabdariffa

Here is a link that might be useful: Jungle Seeds

• paul_
    16 years ago

I've never tried sauteing them but I also have brewed them in tea.

• fireflyintexas
    16 years ago

yes, hibiscus are edible and yummy....tastes similar to daylily petals, which are also edible and yummy...like the best, sweetest lettuce. Summer come on!
    firefly

• randg
    15 years ago

Is all species of Hibiscus blooms, edible?

The only hibiscus I know that is edible is this:

Do you any of you know what species or variety of hibiscus you are eating? I'll be trying to grow this in my front yard, soon, and I love the color of the hibiscus.

• beachbarbie
    15 years ago

I've made tea out of the petals of tropical hibiscus (rosa-sinensis) and it was nummy.
    Barb

• befulina
    15 years ago

I loooove hibiscus tea...I first discovered jamaica juice when I was in Mexico. I'm thinking about getting a hibiscus mostly so I can have fresh tea (and the gorgeous flowers, of course!). Are any varieties inedible? Do some have more/better flavor than others?

• corar4gw
    15 years ago

Just today, I received some seeds I'd ordered - one was ROSELLE (hibiscus sabdariffa) - the bud used in tea. The planting instructions say it needs a long hot growing season. I wonder if north Florida summers will be suffecient? I also received Jicama and Tea Tree seeds. Will try to get them all started tomorrow so as soon as the weather settles, I should have baby plants ready for the garden. cora