Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Correct Fertilizer Usage??? Help Please

gardenlady48
11 years ago

I just read so many different dosage combinations for tropical hibiscus and fertilizing....geez...can anyone please tell me straight forward what I should be using??

TIA

Comments (14)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

Hibiscus is one of the very few plants I treat different than others in containers. I use 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer (like 24-8-16, 12-4-8, or 9-3-6) on almost all my containerized plants. Well, actually, I use it on hibs too, but with a twist. Hibiscus is not overly fond of P(hosphorous), but it does like K (potassium). It likes a fertilizer low in P but higher in K than most plants, so something that supplies at least as much K as N - a fertilizer with a 3:1:3 or even a 3:1:4 RATIO.

Since you should have on hand a 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer for almost all your container gardening needs anyway, it's quite easy to turn your 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer into a 3:1:3 ratio by adding a little potash or Dyna-Gro's Pro-TeKt 0-0-3 (better choice because it has silicon in it) to your fertilizer solution when you fertilize.

It's best to avoid 1:1:1 ratio fertilizers like 20-20-20 or 14-14-14 because they supply much too much P in relation to N or K; and it's important to avoid all bloom-booster fertilizers and fertilizers with a middle number as high as or higher than either the first or third numbers (N or K).

In the end, you can use any 3:1:2 ratio fertilizer (I like Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 best) right from the package with good results, but adding a little extra K to that strategy would be an improvement and please the plant.

Al

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Its funny when I use 20-20-20 on my hibs they turn yellow and drop some leaves. But after a while they put out new growth and begin to green up and flower like crazy! Its the only fertilizer I have so I used it:-( But they look good now.

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al...thanks for the explanation, however still don't understand why the plant wouldnt appreciate a higher P to encourage more bloom??

11 years ago

Most growers erroneously believe that high P levels promote blooming, but such is not the case. In addition, Hibiscus stores P and needs very little. P can easily become toxic to Hibiscus, with the stress causing A) poor growth, B) aborted or poor blooms, C) high pH that additionally stresses the plant due to poor nutrient solubility, D) antagonistic deficiencies of other nutrients E) other issues related to stress, like disease and insect infestation resultant of a suppressed metabolism.

Taken from an abstract in Hort Science (I've edited it to make it more readable):

A series of experiments were undertaken to determine the effects of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K) concentrations and N:P:K ratio on flowering and vegetative growth of two herbaceous perennials, Hibiscus moscheutos L. (hibiscus) and Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii Ait. 'Goldsturm' (rudbeckia). Plant growth and flowering of both hibiscus and rudbeckia were influenced by concentration and ratio of N, P, and K. When N was held constant at 100 mg/L, 4:1 N:K and 16:1 N:P were optimal for growing hibiscus [that's 16 times more N than P], whereas higher K concentration and lower P concentration were required for optimal growth of rudbeckia. However, when holding N constant at 100 mg/l and varying both P and K in the fertilizer solutions, higher P and K concentrations and a 2:1:2 N:P:K ratio best supported hibiscus growth, whereas 3:1:2 N:P:K was needed for growth of rudbeckia. Finally, when both N concentration and N:P:K ratio were altered, optimum growth of both hibiscus and rudbeckia was achieved at similar and lower P and K concentrations - an 8:1:2 N:P:K ratio was optimum for production of both hibiscus and rudbeckia, although 12:1:2 N:P:K produced similar growth of rudbeckia.

The short answer is, the higher levels of P don't encourage blooming in hibiscus because they are being offered at toxic levels. Also, it's much more effective in almost all cases to reduce the N supply instead of increasing P to promote blooming. Reducing N curtails vegetative growth, which forces the plant to spend it's energy on producing reproductive tissues instead of vegetative, so the result is more blooms/fruit.

Assuming you have the right light/temp, the keys to bringing along great hibiscus in pots are - an appropriate soil, YEARLY repotting (not just potting up), and an appropriate fertilizer - one that is LOW in P.

Al

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Al, again I appreciate your time educating me on this issue. I do have a better understanding now, just a lot of info to absorb. Sad part of this is I called two local garden centers asking specifically for hibiscus fertilize and each told me to use all purpose/general fertilizer!! I tried to briefly educate them only for them to dispute what I was saying....grrrrrr. Oh well, thank you for sharing valuable info!

• jeff1961
    10 years ago

I use potting soil with some added manure then eb stone sulphur potassium and magnesium. Nitrogen in moderate amounts, very little phosphorus and lots of potassium. During the season I scratch in the eb stone fertilizer and worm castings

• jeff1961
    10 years ago

I use potting soil with some added manure then eb stone sulphur potassium and magnesium. Nitrogen in moderate amounts, very little phosphorus and lots of potassium. During the season I scratch in the eb stone fertilizer and worm castings

• Paul Harris
    8 years ago

The miracle grow all purpose has way too much nitrogen and phosphorous. Too much N is toxic for hibiscus. Use something like 17-5-24.

8 years ago

First, the amount of N a plant actually gets has nothing to do with the NPK % noted on the fertilizer package and everything to do with how heavy the grower's hand is when making the fertilizer solution.

Then, the 17-5-24 fertilizer has about a 3.5: 1: 5 ratio, while 24: 8: 16 has a 3: 1: 2 ratio, so by your own description and because the 17-5-24 fertilizer has 1/6 (about 17%) MORE N in relation to P than 24-8-16, it would be entirely inappropriate because of its high N content. In addition, by using the potash as a supplemental K source (actually, ProTeKt 0-0-3 would be a better choice), the 3: 1: 2 ratio fertilizers (like 24-8-16, 12-4-8, 9-3-6) could be very simply changed to a 3: 1: 3 or 4 ratio - which would suit hibiscus in containers nicely.

Al

• bryanj9798
    8 years ago

Tia,

see this link...best website for all your hibiscus questions and needs. Very easy to find tabs on left side of website. This provided link takes you directly to the feeding section.

regards

bryan

http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/feeding.htm

• Cartik Seshan
    5 years ago

Hi AI, How often do you fertlize potted hibiscus?

5 years ago

How much and how often you should fertilize is inextricably linked to your choice of soils and watering habits. The truth is, no one, without knowledge of the type of soil you're using and how you water can give meaningful advice without significant qualifications of the advice given. My fertilizer regimen works exceptionally well for me. During the winter, I water at a low dose every time I water. In summer, when temperatures are appropriate, I water nearly all plants weekly with 9-3-6 at nearly double the suggested rate. For hibiscus, I up the K levels by supplementing with ProTeKt 0-0-3. The REASON this works so well lies in the fact that I use very fast (draining) soils that hold little or no perched water. Those growers who use soils based on large fractions of peat, coir, composted forest products, and other fine ingredients cannot fertilize like growers who use fast soils unless they are able to flush the soil regularly/frequently. If you're forced to water in small sips because your soil is overly water-retentive, it's going to be very difficult to maintain anything resembling tight control over nutritional supplementation.

For the healthiest plants, you should plan on an annual repot, which includes bare-rooting, root pruning, and a change of soil; and a fertilizer regimen that is low in P and has a level of K equal to or slightly higher than the N level. Fertilizers with 3:1:3 to 3:1:5 RATIOS (ratios are different than NPK %s) are favored by hibiscus.

Al

• merkity
    5 years ago

if you are starting a fertilizing routine - start with say a half dose - and wait two weeks - hibiscus tend to show the effects of something about 2 weeks after the event - fertilizer, repotting, etc... if you are using long term - just don't over fertilize - its easier to add a little more if needed. if you haven't been fertilizing the plants may show some signs of shock - so don't be surprised if that happens...

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists