Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grumpygardenguy

what kinds are perennials

grumpygardenguy
13 years ago

I know the Hardy hibiscus, they die back to the ground each year and make new shoots in spring. But i'd like a more woody branching variety not with the saucer type flower but the smaller more formed ones. I bought some last year, not sure what they are and they were definately annuals as the woody part is now all just hollow tubes. unfortunately no seed pods ever formed on the flower stems as they all fell off after blooming. I grabbed hold of one by the base and it wont budge, so the roots are all still in place not rotting away, but it shows no sign of producing anything other then future composting material.

The hardys may be the only perennials , if not any suggestions are welcome and pictures appreciated.

Comments (9)

• auntyara
    13 years ago

Maybe your thinking of a rose of sharon? They come double and single. lots of different colors too. Some reseed all over the place.

Here is a link that might be useful: rose of sharon

• grumpygardenguy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

whoa no thats a big one to big, want something that wont get more then 7 ft high as the planting areas i have made for them, are under the overhang of my roof. if thats the only perennial other then the hardy i guess i just have to buy 3 every year. And no i don't think leaving in pots is good option as the ones i planted last year got to just under 5 ft and were nice and bushy, i couldn't get my car in the garage if i had dug those up. Oh well guess i'm stuck if thats it for perennials. odd thing when looking at some stuff on rose of sharon there is a star of texas as well which i guess is just another color. however the oddest part is it actually said if bush size or tree they need to be brought in over winter as they will die. How the heck do you dig up a tree and bring it inside. The first photo on the link, that rose of sharon must be 17 ft high. My ceilings are only 10.

• auntyara
    13 years ago

Hmmm, If you like the looks of the rose of sharon you could keep it pruned. sounds like a lot of work but it might save you some money instead of replanting every year.
    Good luck in your quest for the perfect plant for that spot :)

• grumpygardenguy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yeah so they say, but then they also said they die in winter, keep reading conflicting things on both rose and star. ALso that 17 ft looking rose of sharon once i looked at something other then the thumbnail was probably only 10 ft or so, but that trunk was massive, i doubt anyone digs that thing up year after year. SO guess i need to check more sites and see just what and what isn't info about them thar hibiscus

• cody_mi
    12 years ago

most rose of sharon only grow to be about 6 to 8 feet

• princealbert
    12 years ago

grumpygardenguy
    I have several of the woody stemed tropical Hibiscus plants. They get up to around 6 ft in the growing season here in central texas. most of mine are in pots. This past winter I lost several, and many others froze back to the soil line. I do not leave them out in the wintwe they go into a GH made from a 10'x10' sand box. the ones that froze back are about 3" tall now, I expect them to get up to about 5' this season. I prune them to keep them in a short bush form.
    You could prune them back in the fall just before frost and root the cuttings overwinter.
    I hope this helps.
    pa

• grumpygardenguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well i wish i knew what variety i actually had. Doubt it helps but i bought the three colors they had red,pink, and yellow. they were woody with 2 trunks, so may have been 2 plants or thats just how they are. I haven't dug them up yet, just wating to see if something pops up. as i cut them back the top portion of the branches were completely hollow, as i went down they had more substance, but still looks dead no green color anywhere just beige. I had had the hardy type for 7 years, but they finally gave up and died, mostly due to a tiny worm.

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Grumpy.
    Give them a little longer I repotted one today that I thought was a goner. It had/has small new growth about 1 inch below the soil line. I'm hoping that I didn'tkill it.
    pa

• grumpygardenguy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok, yes i decided to wait before i yank them out, mainly becuse i gave one a good tug at the base after i pruned and it didn't even budge, so if roots are that established i thought well maybe still a shot. I do really like em and will replace if they don't come back, but i'd like to see these return, they did so well last year.. Best part was no tiny green worms, so they must taste different then the hardy with the saucer shaped glooms. I had, had the pink and they were huge dinner plate size. (ok not 14 inches but had them get to 11)