Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christi1996

beginner hibiscus questions

christi1996
14 years ago

I received a beautiful hibiscus from my mother-in-law's funeral and would really like to keep it alive. While I would like having it indoors, window space is limited and so I think it would be better off outside. Is this kind of hibiscus ok outside?

I also received this which I was told is a hibiscus although it looks nothing like the other. It had been my mother-in-law's for years and she hated hibiscus but couldn't throw it away for sentimental reasons. After her death I rescued it from the garbage where it looked mostly dead. Believe it or not, it is looking much better now but it still doesn't look like the other hibiscus.

{{gwi:209071}}

Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Comments (4)

• cindjo2
    14 years ago

The first one appears to be a tropical Hibiscus which usually is kept inside except of course you being in Texas where it's warm it probably can survive outside. The second looks like it may be a hardy hibiscus, which can be planted in a sunny spot outside and comes back each yr.

• christi1996
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just talked to my father-in-law and he was telling me about using a nail to make the flowers turn blue and the big balls of blooms so apparently it is a hydrangea not a hibiscus.

Maybe.

We may still be surprised when it blooms ;-)

• agrigirl
    13 years ago

First one looks like a tropical hibiscus. Second one indeed looks like hydrangea.

• angellilly
    13 years ago

(scrathes head) the second one reminds me of a Lantana camara.Its flowers change color when they age...or it could be a hydrangea! :-D

Sponsored