Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrgardner

New to hibiscus and have questions

jrgardner
19 years ago

Okay -- these are probably basic questions, but here goes ...

Last fall, I purchased and planted a Turk's Cap Hibiscus - the survived the winter (died back, but have come out nicely). Now I have some seeds from friends for a blazing star hibiscus and a yellow (yes, not a very informative description) hibiscus. Will they survive the winter too when I get them outside? Or is there anyway to know? Should I plant the yellow one in a container instead of the yard. I'm zone 8b.

Thanks in advance!

JR

Comments (4)

• beachbarbie
    19 years ago

Do you know what the blooms look like on either plant?
    I'm guessing that the Blazing Star may be a Hibiscus coccineus, what I call a Texas Star hibiscus or scarlett rosemallow. Look up Hibiscus coccineus in Hortiplex and you'll get lots of pics. If it is this then yes, it's hardy. Just remember, they take a while to come up in the spring and do so from the roots.
    As far as the yellow hibiscsus goes, the only one I can think of, though others may know better, that's NOT hardy and has yellow blooms is the tropical hibiscsus (Hibiscus rosa sinensis).
    Only one thing to do - start 'em and in the late summer they may be big enough for someone to positively ID. Texas star has distinctive foliage - at first glance, it kinda looks like pot.... swear to God.
    Have fun!
    Barb

• minibim
    19 years ago

As far as the yellow hib is concerned, my inkling is to tell you it is NOT H. rosa-sinensis. Your friend would definitely know if it was, because they would have known enough that H. rosa-sinensis HAS to be hand pollinated to produce seeds.

It could actually be Abelmoschus manihot, H. trionum, H. calyphyllus to name a few. Yellow is a color only produced in hibiscus that are "tropical" in nature. Yes there is the cultivar of H. moschuetos 'ol yella', but that's more white not yellow. Regardless, all are fast growers and should flower and produce enough seeds that you could treat them as "annuals" if you desired.

• beachbarbie
    19 years ago

Good point about the need for hand pollination. Duh - do it myself!
    Barb

• jrgardner
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much for the help. All are doing well -- the seeds have sprouted and those already outside are growing nicely. In the summer, I'll take some pictures and compare to your suggestions and see what I have.

Thanks again!

JR

Sponsored