Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeniarose_gw

Many yellow leaves!!

gardeniarose
18 years ago

My H. rosa-sinensis is having a major problem. Its leaves are turning yellow overnight at an alarming rate and dropping like flies. It has been healthy otherwise, aside from the occasional aphid attack, which I take care of with a soapy spray. It is still blooming like crazy, yet I just cleaned up at least 3 dozen leaves from the ground. I don't think it is chlorosis, since the whole leaf goes yellow, including the veins. Some leaves drop while still somewhat green as well. I have fertilized it and water it well. One thing I did do recently was add sulphur to the soil to acidify it a little, as we tend to have soil with a high pH. But the leaves were yellowing somewhat even before this. Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

You don't have anything to worry about as long as there's new leaves showing up.
    Hibiscus leaves live about 8 months, then turn yellow and fall off. Sometimes they seem to do it all at the same time, I'm sure just to scare the crap out of us! They do like attention you know.....
    Barb

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Barb. Well, if it was trying to scare the crap out of me, it succeeded, lol. It had been dropping leaves daily, maybe 7 or 8 leaves a day. But the other morning I went outside and it looked like practically the whole plant was yellow and there were 30-40 yellow leaves lying all over the ground. Sure got my attention fast! Today it seems a bit better. I only cleaned up maybe half a dozen leaves.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus