Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wmrn43a

Usr or Not to Use Malathion

wmrn43a
16 years ago

I used "Malathion 50" last week on 15 hibiscus planted outside not knowing about any reason not to. The label said for use on hibiscus.

After about 6 days all the plants still look healthy.

I was going to dose them again due to aphids but now I'd like some feed back.

Anything changed that it is now okay to use??

Comments (8)

• hibiscuslover
    15 years ago

Malathion is just about one of the worst chemicals in the garden. Every hear of the atomic bomb? Are you getting headaches and do you wash your hands after using malathion?
    Try mixing up some soapy water and using a spray bottle to spray the aphids. Malathion doesn't just kill aphids, it kills bees, hummingbirds, butterflies, and so on.
    Google malathion and read the MSDS hadzard warning, you might be amazed.

• User
    15 years ago

God, I hope you wore a mask when you were spraying that stuff!
    DOn't use that poison on yourself and your plants!
    Listen to hibiscuslover above!

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

If you read and follow the instructions YOU will do just fine. I spray it just before sun down so it dries while the bees and birds sleep. Nothing has changed so it is still safe to use if you follow instructions.

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

You can spray aphids with a good solution of green soap and water. Kills many of our pest as it washs off their waxy coating. Spray them direct as it will kill other good bug also.

• mokikat
    15 years ago

Last month my 2 hibiscus had more aphids on the blooms and new growth than I had ever seen. Fortunately I had found some Cygon a systemic insecticide at a garden center. I hear it was supposedly taken off the market but they had it so I bought it and put 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
    Poured about a half gallon at the roots and within 3 days all the aphids were dead. I would always recommend a systemic before spraying an insecticide. Rubbing alcohol also will kill aphids when it gets on them. Hope this helps.

• sonsister
    8 years ago

I have 3 hibiscus plants that are being eaten up and yellowing from (white flies. ?) I was told malathion at garden store. Should I use? or someone help please before they die.

• User
    8 years ago

Read the above advise on cheap dish soap diluted with water in a spray bottle. It's cheap, safe and easy. Spray in early morning OR at night after dinner. Easy Peasy, and you won't kill anything bu the soft bodied insects that are eating your leaves.

• HU-575752809
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

How much soap and water please?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!