Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Usr or Not to Use Malathion

Posted by wmrn43a 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 18:55

I used "Malathion 50" last week on 15 hibiscus planted outside not knowing about any reason not to. The label said for use on hibiscus.

After about 6 days all the plants still look healthy.

I was going to dose them again due to aphids but now I'd like some feed back.

Anything changed that it is now okay to use??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Usr or Not to Use Malathion

Malathion is just about one of the worst chemicals in the garden. Every hear of the atomic bomb? Are you getting headaches and do you wash your hands after using malathion?
Try mixing up some soapy water and using a spray bottle to spray the aphids. Malathion doesn't just kill aphids, it kills bees, hummingbirds, butterflies, and so on.
Google malathion and read the MSDS hadzard warning, you might be amazed.

o

God, I hope you wore a mask when you were spraying that stuff!
DOn't use that poison on yourself and your plants!
Listen to hibiscuslover above!

o
RE: Use or Not to Use Malathion

If you read and follow the instructions YOU will do just fine. I spray it just before sun down so it dries while the bees and birds sleep. Nothing has changed so it is still safe to use if you follow instructions.

o

You can spray aphids with a good solution of green soap and water. Kills many of our pest as it washs off their waxy coating. Spray them direct as it will kill other good bug also.

o

Last month my 2 hibiscus had more aphids on the blooms and new growth than I had ever seen. Fortunately I had found some Cygon a systemic insecticide at a garden center. I hear it was supposedly taken off the market but they had it so I bought it and put 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
Poured about a half gallon at the roots and within 3 days all the aphids were dead. I would always recommend a systemic before spraying an insecticide. Rubbing alcohol also will kill aphids when it gets on them. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here