Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nic2032

Seedpod producing pedals

nic2032
16 years ago

Even though I'm way up here in Massachusetts, I've had reasonable luck crossbreeding a number of tropical hibiscus that I keep in the house most of the year. I was recently given an adult plant with an orange double bloom. I pollinated a number of its flowers and ended up with a single developing seed pod. I was very excited as this is my first attempt to cross a double bloom. The seed pod developed as I expected but then something odd happened. When the pod split, instead of seeds inside there were pedals! Has anyone seen anything like this before? I've left the pod and pedals on the plant for the moment to see what happens. I've included a photo below. Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :-)

{{gwi:885846}}

{{gwi:885847}}

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    16 years ago

It's actually not that unusual. I know my Lovely Lil has done this a couple of times. I've heard from others that they've had it happen too.
    Just enjoy!
    Barb

• vi-biscus
    16 years ago

Coincidentally, I have seen the same thing here in the Virgin Islands with an apricot colored double. The first time I saw the bud I let it develop but it got no further than yours. The second time, as soon as I saw the bud I took the pod off the plant, let it dry and recovered two seeds. They are now planted...we'll see.

Sponsored