Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedpod producing pedals

Posted by nic2032 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 19:52

Even though I'm way up here in Massachusetts, I've had reasonable luck crossbreeding a number of tropical hibiscus that I keep in the house most of the year. I was recently given an adult plant with an orange double bloom. I pollinated a number of its flowers and ended up with a single developing seed pod. I was very excited as this is my first attempt to cross a double bloom. The seed pod developed as I expected but then something odd happened. When the pod split, instead of seeds inside there were pedals! Has anyone seen anything like this before? I've left the pod and pedals on the plant for the moment to see what happens. I've included a photo below. Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :-)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedpod producing pedals

It's actually not that unusual. I know my Lovely Lil has done this a couple of times. I've heard from others that they've had it happen too.
Just enjoy!
Barb

o
RE: Seedpod producing pedals

Coincidentally, I have seen the same thing here in the Virgin Islands with an apricot colored double. The first time I saw the bud I let it develop but it got no further than yours. The second time, as soon as I saw the bud I took the pod off the plant, let it dry and recovered two seeds. They are now planted...we'll see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here