Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
upnortdareh

Hardy Hibiscus

upnortdareh
18 years ago

Iam looking for a hardy Hibiscus for Zone 4 Can anybody help!!!! Thanks ----Bill

Comments (8)

• brianmkerr
    18 years ago

Hello Bill, I'm in Australia, but tell me what Zone 4 means in minimum temperatures in winter and do you know what species or family of hibiscus you are interested in ? If Rosa Sinesis, try Mrs George Davis and Jayella. If another, there are some that are quite hardy in colder conditions.
    Good luck, Brian Kerr.

• upnortdareh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brian ---- Zone 4 is about -20 to -25 F below zero The Lord Baltimore is the hardiest I know of for this area, it can survive here with some winter protection (sometimes). Are there others similar to the Lord Baltimore? Thanks Bill

• brianmkerr
    18 years ago

Hello Bill, That's way too cold for the species we grow, so do not know of any that will survive. In fact, I do not even know Lord Baltimore, though am looking for info about it for someone else .. can't remember name, but could it be you .. a question was posted on the Hybridizers group about the viability of it's pollen, so I have posed the question to a few other hibiscus groups, but as yet no answers. Can you attach a photo of Lord Baltimore so as we can ID the bloom and species.

Thanks, Brian.

• wmc1
    18 years ago
  • sandysseeds007
    16 years ago

Hi there, Unless you plan to mulch 1-2' for frost and winter seasons just to take a chance. Have you double checked your zone, sometimes there are pockets of zone 5 in zone 4. You'll still need the same amount of mulch in the first couple of years.
    http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

You might want to choose to stick with the annual tropical hibiscus and just regrow them by seed each year. I don't mean the fancy ones, the seeds are a little expensive.
    Again, the annuals like manihot and ruby red are really pretty plants, take a note of their latin names and you'll probably find some others like them.

Better yet, check into the Rose of Sharon. They're a tree type of hibiscus you don't cut down and pretty hardy.
    You might have to stick with the basic single petals and avoid the double flowers but who know's what the latest hybrids can do. These will take some time growing up though, 2-3 years to bloom from seed, But eventually hit a 8-10 feet size or so.
    Happy Gardening, - Sandy

• shpnquen
    16 years ago

Here is a sight that might be of interest to you since it's out of Minneapolis/St. Paul. It has some usefull info as well as their garden center. If it's too far for you, at the least the information will give you some idea of what you might like in a HH. I didn't see any pictures, but you could google/yahoo for those. Hope this helps some!

http://www.bachmans.com/retail/tipsheets/Perennials/HardyHibiscus.cfm

• PRO
    Amandas Greenhouse
    13 years ago

Just following up on this old thread. In the past when I have grown hardy hibiscus it blooms just in time for the first frosts to terminate the flowers. Now I get calls that there's a nice "red hibiscus" blooming in several places in a town near me. Any ideas what this would be?

Amanda

• kari_flowers
    13 years ago

I have a terrific hardy hibiscus "Robert Fleming" with very dark red 7" blooms...the buds are nearly black. I just put this in last year and it is simply covered with many of these huge flowers.
    It only gets 3 feet high but has a number of branches so is spready... maybe this is what you heard about?

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks