Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peg_in_oregon

Hibiscus in the Pac NW?????

peg_in_oregon
17 years ago

I've grown Rose of Sharon quite successfully in other places that I've lived - but I know live in coastal Oregon. I don't live so near to the ocean that we get salt air breezes, but we don't warm up much here. Our summers are typically 65-70 degrees for a high. And it rains a ton in the winter.

Can anyone tell me whether a Rose of Sharon would do good in our cooler climate????

Thanks

Comment (1)

• georgew79
    17 years ago

Hi I don't know to much about your winters there, but Rose of sharons should do OK as they grow well here in Missouri, where the summer gets to be above 90F and the winters can get below freezing. one problem that you might have is root rot and fungus that would effect the new growth and leaves. I grow a hardy perennial variety that does very well in wet conditions, it has large pink and white flowers you could try growing it as well, it is H. moscheutos, I believe it is also known as Dinnerplate Hibiscus as the hybrids have huge 9 to 12 inch blooms. There are some other Perennial types that would do well in your area that would come back up year after year.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz