Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amythystmoon

Getting Hibiscus to bloom

amythystmoon
13 years ago

Howdy All:

Last yeer I rescued a plant from local big box store. It was in real bad shape only two leaves and really dry. But the price was right at 1$ so I brought home watered it and left it. It has come back very nicely a real bargin. But it has yet to show any signs of budding. Is there something I should be doing or am I just jumping the gun. It was a standard 1 gallon hib. tree.

Thx for your help George

Comments (4)

• florentino2
    13 years ago

My hibiscus wouldn't bloom until my neighbor told me they bloom on old wood and to quit trimming them. Followed her advise and the next year I had the prettiest blooms.Wait a while and I'm sure yours will bloom. By the way "Super Bloom" helped too.

• florentino2
    13 years ago

Sorry, meant to say new wood.

• buckeyemom3
    13 years ago

Fertilize every couple of weeks and you'll have lots of blooms. Don't prune again till fall/winter. Good luck!

• momovtwo
    13 years ago

Agree with the other posts and.... I have 4 plants that for the past 4 years have given me beautiful blooms, but last summer we moved. About 1/3 of the leaves burned in the 1 hr trailer trip, but the rest of the plant was still beautiful, bushy and vividly green. Absolutely no blooms last year though, it was in shock poor thing. I even forgot which ones were what color, lol. This year they are all again full of blooms. It could be the near death shock that is keeping it from blooming. Don't worry if it doesn't bloom at all this year, there is always next year :)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living