Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olgaflowers

Grenache (Hibiscus Moscheutos )

olgaflowers
18 years ago

I just Bought this Hibiscus Today.

I really can't find any Information or Pictures of this Plant. If anyone has any Information I would Appreaciate it. Thank's Olgaflowers

Comments (5)

• gardeniarose
    18 years ago

Olgaflowers,
    I have some information I can give you from my Tropical Hibiscus Handbook. The plant is indigenous to coastal marshes of Georgia, Florida and Mississippi. It is a soft wooded perennial and requires protection from strong winds. May require staking. They like an open sunny spot with rich well drained, moist soil. They need lots of water and fertilizer during the growing/flowering season. The root system is tuberous. The leaves are lost in autumn but do not cut the old stems off 'til they turn brown. New shoots in spring are soft and sappy and vulnerable to insects, especially loopers and caterpillars. Spray as for H. rosa-sinensis. These plants are hardier than H. rosa-sinensis and can tolerate frosts. Can be propagated by root division or tip cuttings. Southern Belle grows to 6 feet, Dixie Belle grows to 3 feet. Hope this was helpful!

• olgaflowers
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gardeniarose,
    Thank's for the Info. knowing to leave the Stems until
    they turn brown Help alot.
    Olgaflowers

• georgew79
    18 years ago

Hi just saw your post, look up Perennial Hibiscus and you will find lots of picture of your plant. I grow a wild type of it here in Missouri and it comes back every year bigger and better although the flowers are not as large as the commercial ones.They are also known as Marsh or Rose Mallows, as many types grow in swampy areas. I hope that this is of some help. Many of the commercial ones have huge blooms up to a Foot across. they are also known as Dinnerplate Hibiscus.
    George W. Z5 Mo.

• olgaflowers
    Original Author
    17 years ago

George,
    Thank's for the Suggestion.
    I did just that and it look's like it's going to
    be a real pretty Pink. Olgaflowers

• plantluvver
    17 years ago

Hi,

I just bought one of these, and I was surprised to find such vibrant colors in a hardy hibiscus. All the others I had seen previously were white or pastel shades. But your post was the only easily found item on Google!

Here are some others I have found. I am surprised that much more publicity wasn't done for these plants.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP249

www.green-leaf-ent.com/vintage_hibiscus.pdf

There is also a seed propagated series from another vendor:

http://www.panamseed.com/plant_search.aspx

I am wondering what your experience has been so far with this plant. Are the flowers really the shocking bright pink shown on the tag? None of the hibiscus at the store had an open bloom. It was a department store, and they tend to water their plants unevenly.

I was disappointed at learning the short stature of the plants, but since my climate has mild winters, perhaps mine won't die to the ground.

Good thing I ride the bus, because I almost came home with four different varieties! LOL

Mary

Sponsored