Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temps in 70s - transplanting

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 21:40

Hi everyone - same old question everyone always asked and I tried a search but nothing fit my question:

My hardy hibiscus (don't know the name but it will bloom very large round white with pink centers flowers) is up about 8 inches green and I wondered if I could transplant it into an area that receives very hot sun from one in the afternoon on. It's in full sun now, but I don't like where it is.

Thanks for any help (sorry I don't know the name of this hibiscus - but it is NOT rose of sharon)

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temps in 70s - transplanting

It's a hardy hibiscus bush and I'd probably say a southern belle. I KNOW they grow much better in full sun. My babies tubers all have had their say in the matter. The ones in the sun have tubers 4-5x's longer than the ones that were in deeper shade.

I believe what you'd be doing is trading off more flowering for the 1/2 day sun day location but I think we all have to do that with some of our hibiscus' as one time or another, if only because there are so many.

If you're going to insist on transplanting be careful to escavate the ground carefully the plant to find out where their tubers are. I don't know how big yours is right now, but I guarantee if you use a shovel, you'll be cutting throught the tubers to get it out, so start out as far as you can, pop the dirt ball out and work the soil away from the tubers that way. Sorry, I don't know what happens to the plant if too many tubers are cut off. Hopefully, someone will have had some real experience with this.

At least you have the advantage of a nice sized root system already developed for your half sun location, that's got to be a big plus. - Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here