Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perky_grow

Planted Hibiscus in yard-?

perky_grow
16 years ago

I know all you pros will laugh when you read this but here goes. I just bought a Hibiscus tree from Home Depot-ek. I planted it in my garden. I live 45-Min from Tallahassee. Will my Hibiscus thrive w/good food and what should I do for winter. Pleez help.

Comments (2)

• sandysseeds007
    16 years ago

Could you please read the second reply to the post "Is my hibiscus dead?"
    Posted by: fuzzyma716 6 on Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 10:11
    I think it'll help you get a grasp on your own hibiscus.
    -Sandy

• abekhoury
    15 years ago

I assume that you bought a tropical hibiscus tree from Home Depot and that you live near or in Tomasville Georgia. You should be able to grow it in the yard with only minimal winter protection. I recommend placing it on the south side of your house near the wall which will radiate heat at night and keep your plant a few degrees warmer in the winter. Mulch the hibiscus well and cover it in severe winters and give it a good watering a couple of days before a freeze. Your plant will most likely defoliate or even die back to the ground from time to time but if your plant is healthy it should recover. In the summer you should water and feed it regularly. Do not feed with a bloom boosting plant food As it does not promote blooms in hibiscus. If you have a hardy hibiscus disregard the winter care instructions.

Sponsored