Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerbreezes_gw

Survival or Not

summerbreezes
14 years ago

Back again and here is a update on my hibiscus..ive taken all the described protection away (see my *wintering please help post)now that its much warmer. Ive peeled away slightly some of the paper like bark on the trunks of each braid and from what i see there is green..at least low about 6 to 8inches from dirt up. So I gave a bit of fertilizer and before anything starts to leaf out ..if im lucky...i pruned it a bit back..nothing too drastic just to even up the shape...

Question is this..im not sure if the green i saw when i peeled the bark a bit is simple moisture from all the rain we have had or from it just being a combo of that and how i had it protected keeping some moisture in, or if its truly a viable live plant and how soon should i know before it starts to show signs of life and leafing?

Comment (1)

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

My son and I were going through the yard at the new place we moved into this past fall. This spring is when we started going through and clearing out brush and such. He asked how I knew a shrub was dead by looking at it with no leaves on it. I told him this "If I can bend the branch and it is flexible and bends/bounces back to where it was, it is still alive. If I bend it and it breaks, then it is dead." I showed him on several shrubs we had that had been choked by vines. On those that broke I showed him that the inside of the branch lacked any green coloring. He enjoyed bending the branches of many shrubs and removing anything that broke. He was also happy a few weeks later to see leafing on the branches that were "flexible". LOL Others may do it differently, but that is how I have always done it.