Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acetosella-Pamama Red?

Posted by brandyray Coastal NC/8a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 22:40

I have a Star Hibiscus- really love it. It has proved to be winter hardy here and it gives me baby volunteers from time to time. Looking at Santa Rosa Gardens website, they have Hibiscus Acetosella "Panama Red" as a "Bargain Bench" buy at 2.99 each. Will this be a hardy plant here? If not, should I treat it as an annual and save seeds for next yr? Or, maybe you wouldn't recommend this Hibiscus at all? Also, how much space will it take up? Thanks, Brandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acetosella-Pamama Red?

Just checked the web and they are saying to Zone 8b so you should be good to go. I think The Texas Star Hibiscus is good to zone 7. If it produces seeds I sure would save as they seem to star with not much effort.

o

Thank you, wally. I got 3 of them. They are all babies but growing. 2 are about a ft tall now, the 3rd one is stunted- very short. They are an attractive shade of dark reddish. They all seem likely to survive, but I will not be planting them til fall- when I don't have to worry so much about keeping them watered. Brandy

o

They will die back to the ground in the fall and will be slow in sprouting in the spring. If you have good soil they can get over 12 feet tall. Here my soil they only have gotten to about 6 foot tall but I get to enjoy their blooms as I could not give them away so now I have over a dozen with more new shoots in pots.

o

Okay, I will not be able to plant them w/ my star hibiscus, but will need to find a spot w/ more space- another problem for fall... Would they do okay in shade? Or do they need sun? I appreciate the info. The "soil" here is mostly sand unless I amend it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here