Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscuslover1984

Splitting an OLD Tropical hibiscus

HibiscusLover1984
13 years ago

My Hibiscus was given to me 2 years ago by a women who told me that she's had it for 15 years as did the person who gave it to her. It is a beautiful tree and has always given me beautiful full red blooms. I put it outside as soon as weather allows and she remains til it starts to get cold. A racoon ate a large portion but she came back from that. She has even survived a dose of weed killer(the breeze picked up). I've pruned any dead wood and seem to be doing wonderfully. I worry about it becoming root bound though, as it hasn't been repotted in at least 5 years. (The woman can't remember when she did it.) Some older roots are becoming visible around the base, Should I cover these back up? Also can a tropical hibiscus be split? If so, How-to? I'd love to have 2 of these beautiful plants instead of one LARGE one. Any and all information would be welcome! :)

Comment (1)

• TulsaRose
    13 years ago

I'm under the impression the Tropical Hibiscus grow from a single trunk. You might consider taking softwood cuttings and start them for new plants. It would probably be a good idea to repot your old girl, at least go up one size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Hibiscus care

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus