Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

Rose of Sharon leaves bit the dust in the freeze....

carrie630
17 years ago

The stems look terrible, with hanging, wilted leaves just dangling from the stems. Do I prune the shrub (second year shrub) or do I just remove the leaves and hope for new growth? Thanks

Carrie

Comments (2)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Carrie, are the stems soft or hard? If hard, remove the leaves..of course, pruning isn't a bad idea either, considering how fast ROS grow. Seems like the more you prune the faster it grows..
    How cold did it get there? I can't imagine a ROS freezing..I have 2 types here, and 2 hardy hibiscus, and we'd had freezing days. -4 not including wind chill..I didn't realize NC gets that cold..Toni

• carrie630
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hopeful - well, we did have that few days of unusual weather - temps went down to 20 degrees and all of the new green leaves turned to brown mush - same with our azaleas that had already opened and most of us here lost crepe myrles, although I am told they will recover. This is a second year shrub, I've never pruned it and after the "mush" a few weeks later (which is now), I am noticing new growth on the bottom.... I guess I will see how much green I get and then prune the top if it remains bare. Do you think I will still get flowers? I know we all lost certain types of hydrangeas (lost meaning NO blooms this year), so I am not sure about the ROS - Thanks

Carrie

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH