Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon leaves bit the dust in the freeze....

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 07 at 23:29

The stems look terrible, with hanging, wilted leaves just dangling from the stems. Do I prune the shrub (second year shrub) or do I just remove the leaves and hope for new growth? Thanks

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon leaves bit the dust in the freeze....

Carrie, are the stems soft or hard? If hard, remove the leaves..of course, pruning isn't a bad idea either, considering how fast ROS grow. Seems like the more you prune the faster it grows..
How cold did it get there? I can't imagine a ROS freezing..I have 2 types here, and 2 hardy hibiscus, and we'd had freezing days. -4 not including wind chill..I didn't realize NC gets that cold..Toni

o
RE: Rose of Sharon leaves bit the dust in the freeze....

hopeful - well, we did have that few days of unusual weather - temps went down to 20 degrees and all of the new green leaves turned to brown mush - same with our azaleas that had already opened and most of us here lost crepe myrles, although I am told they will recover. This is a second year shrub, I've never pruned it and after the "mush" a few weeks later (which is now), I am noticing new growth on the bottom.... I guess I will see how much green I get and then prune the top if it remains bare. Do you think I will still get flowers? I know we all lost certain types of hydrangeas (lost meaning NO blooms this year), so I am not sure about the ROS - Thanks

Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here