Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgw3_gw

ID Question

JGW3
10 years ago

Hello,

I started these from seeds about 8 wks ago. They were sold to me as Texas Star. At this point I am wondering if that's true. The leave look nothing like those of a Texas Star. So just wanted everyone else's opinion. I'm guessing an exact ID would be impossible but can I rule Texas Star out. Dang ebay! It doesn't matter if your buying or selling people just want to take advantage.

Thanks,
John

This post was edited by JGW3 on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 7:57

Comments (5)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

JGW3,
    I do not have any 'Texas Star' or 'Confederate Rose' Hibiscus so I am unsure of the leaf pattern. To me it looks like a a Hibiscus Moscheutoes variety. The tear drop leaf pattern leads me to a few ideas as I have 9 different varieties. This is either a Robert Fleming, or more than likely a Luna series. The bloom color and later growth with determine. Along with my Tropicals and Syriacus, I like these plants. The huge blooms from mature plants is an eye catcher. Currently I have the below:
    Lord Baltimore
    Robert Fleming
    Plum Crazy
    Luna White
    Kopper King
    Midnight Marvel
    Cranberry Crush
    Fireball
    And Torchy

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Star Hibiscus puts on a MJ like leaf and the Confederate Rose Hibiscus puts on a large leaf like what we use to call a cigar tree. I have only seen those leaves on Hardy hibiscus . Star Hibiscus seeds are larger than Hardy Hibiscus seeds, about 1/3 larger but they do look the same. But I take that back they may start out that way but if that is a Star Hibiscus the leaves will change later, if not then it is not a Star Hibiscus. Why does anyone here buy Star Hibiscus seeds. We usually give them away come August, that is unless they produce earlier. I have at least 5 plants I expect to share as soon as they are ready. Sorry about the weeds, this was taken a couple weeks back. As for the Confederate Rose Hibiscus the seeds are small, round and very fuzzy

• Nscherf
    10 years ago

Hi,

Its been a while since I've tried growing Texas Star Hibiscus by seed so I could be wrong. when I grew mine by seed if I remember right they looked just like that when they came out and as it got bigger the leaves began to change to a star shape. I believe they started to change when the plant reached 1 foot in height maybe sooner. Hope this helps.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Confederate Rose Hibiscus leaves

• John Perilloux
    10 years ago

It's possible those are Texas Star. Mature plants have thin, long, jagged edged leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Star

Sponsored