Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone grow rose of sharon indoors?

Posted by jeannejeanie 7 long island (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 08 at 23:52

i got a bare root rose of sharon tree form a wk ago & put it in a pot. i will eventually plant it outdoors after i put in a patio. this may not be done until the summer of 2009 (long story). anyway can i grow this in a pot until then? any pics? suggestions? does it flower? any info will be appreciated. thank you ... jeannie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone grow rose of sharon indoors?

Grow it outside in a pot.
It likes to go to sleep in the winter.
It will just loose all of it's leaves with everything else in the fall and look like sticks until late April, when it will leaf out again. (inside or outside)
It won't die on you outside in the winter in a pot.
Then when your patio is completed, you can transplant it where ever you want to put it.
They aren't fussy plants.
You are zone 7, you will find they are very cold hardy over the winter in a pot outside.
If you MUST keep it indoors, put it in front of the sunniest window you have and try to keep it open when you are home (in summer). In winter, put it in your basement or the coldest part of your home that is unheated so it can sleep. Don't forget to water it every 2 weeks though.
It really likes it outside.
Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here