Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2-Colour Hibiscus

Posted by MerlinB none (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 4:32

I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I noticed this flower on my peach-coloured Hibiscus tree. It is completely split 50% peach and 50% cerise. I have heard about and seen pics of a full different colour flowers appearing on the same tree... but never something like this. Any comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2-Colour Hibiscus

It's a mutation that happened in a spot that only affected part of the flower ... the seeds from that flower might produce some seeds for peach and some for cerise, but it's unlikely that the flowers will be split like that on the descendants.

o

Maybe if you propagate it you can make more plants like that one!

o

very neat! should watch to see if it happens again on that same branch.

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 14 at 17:11

do the other flowers on that plant have that many petals? It almost looks like two or more flowers clustered together; I can see at least three stamen.

Abfab, would love it if mine did this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here