Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gumamela_gw

Confederate Rose seeds

gumamela
18 years ago

How do I grow Confederate Rose seeds? A gentleman sent some seeds drom Florida. I live in the Philippines.

Thank you

Comments (8)

• Xeramatheum
    18 years ago

I planted about 10 of them and waited and waited and waited and waited. About a month later I said to heck with it and planted some datura seedlings in the pot. Imagine my surprise a few weeks later to see the confederate rose seeds sprouting!

They take a long time if you stick them in dirt. After doing a search of this forum I came across a method that worked so well, it stunned me! Thanks to TSmith2579.

Take one of those thick paper towels and wet it then wring it out so its damp. Then sprinkle your seeds on the edge of one end and fold it over about an inch. Sprinkle more seeds and fold it again. Keep doing this until you have as many seeds as you want to sprout. Once it is completely folded over, wrap it in plastic cling wrap and stick it in a sunny place. Check on it in about a week and make sure the paper towel is still moist. If not, dampen it and stick it back in the cling wrap. Check on it every 3 or 4 days by unfolding it to see if any of the seeds are sending out roots.

It took only 2 weeks for the seeds to start cracking and sending out roots. I was amazed.

Thanks again TSmith2579!

Xeramtheum

• bruggirl
    18 years ago

They won't germinate until the temps are consistently in the 70's during the day. The key is not to cover them too deep. Just lightly cover and water from the bottom so they don't wash away, or mist daily, and they should do fine.

• nwfl_mommy
    16 years ago

IF ANYONE HAS SOME CONFEDERATE ROSE SEEDS AND DOESN'T MIND SHARING, PLEASE EMAIL ME.... nw_fl_mommy@yahoo.com

• jalfred
    16 years ago

I always use the wet paper towel in the napkin idea with seeds, and I place this on the dryer. In two weeks mine germinated and are now getting their second leaves in blue plastic cups with soil. I also germinated 9 catalpa tree seeds and they are thriving. I have not found any season to be the wrong season. Maybe I have just been lucky.
    Nwfl, I can send other hardy hibiscus seeds but not Conf. Rose. Jackie

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    11 years ago

I germinate daylily seeds by soaking in a hydrogen peroxide/water solution. Would this work on confederate rose seeds?

• Diana Gorby-Lankford
    5 years ago

Wally_1986 looking for confederate rose seeds

• Diana Gorby-Lankford
    5 years ago

Diana Kay lankford@ gmail

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022