Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley05_gw

How Far Apart to Plant? Pinching?

ashley05
10 years ago

I have started several hardy hibiscus from seed. They're flourishing and will go into the ground in a few weeks hopefully. I've never had hibiscus before, so I have a couple of questions.

When I plant them, how far apart do they go? Most online sources say 2'-3'. Does that sound about right?

I've read I'm supposed to pinch them to make them bushier. When do I do that? How do I do that? Is this something I'll have to do every year when they start in the spring?

Thank you all for the help!

Comments (2)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

2-3 ft sounds good, and even at 3 ft you'll get some overlap of the stems once the clump gets mature & starts to spread.

Let your stems get to about 12-15" tall, then cut them back by half or more. I usually use a bypass pruner to snip just above the second or third healthy leaf (from the soil line). You can even pinch the new stems a second time later if you wish. Pinching increases the number of secondary stems (and tertiary stems if you pinch twice), as well as the number of blooms. It also increases the strength of the stems and makes them more resistant to the combination of wind/rain that tends to force unpinched plants to lay over.

Al

• ashley05
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Al. That really helped!

Sponsored