Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Far Apart to Plant? Pinching?

Posted by ashley05 5b-6a (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 7:54

I have started several hardy hibiscus from seed. They're flourishing and will go into the ground in a few weeks hopefully. I've never had hibiscus before, so I have a couple of questions.

When I plant them, how far apart do they go? Most online sources say 2'-3'. Does that sound about right?

I've read I'm supposed to pinch them to make them bushier. When do I do that? How do I do that? Is this something I'll have to do every year when they start in the spring?

Thank you all for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Far Apart to Plant? Pinching?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 12, 13 at 12:13

2-3 ft sounds good, and even at 3 ft you'll get some overlap of the stems once the clump gets mature & starts to spread.

Let your stems get to about 12-15" tall, then cut them back by half or more. I usually use a bypass pruner to snip just above the second or third healthy leaf (from the soil line). You can even pinch the new stems a second time later if you wish. Pinching increases the number of secondary stems (and tertiary stems if you pinch twice), as well as the number of blooms. It also increases the strength of the stems and makes them more resistant to the combination of wind/rain that tends to force unpinched plants to lay over.

Al

o
RE: How Far Apart to Plant? Pinching?

Thanks, Al. That really helped!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here