Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
halaeva

Hibiscus Syriacus in Canada z.6

halaeva
16 years ago

Hi Everyone;

I wonder: how is your Rose of Sharon doing?

Three of mine are not growing leaves.This makes me worried.

Anyone has the same problem?

I would greatly appreciate every response.

Wishing you a happy gardening

Hala.

Comments (6)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

It might be still early for you depending on how the weather has been. These leaf out late anyway and if you have had any chills or frosts recently, that may have slowed some down. You might want to check lower down on the trunk to see if anything is sprouting. Sometimes they will die back to the roots and will sprout new suckers from there.

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jenny for your response.
    We did not have a frost and chills lately and in winter time did not have a killing frost.My other Rose od Sharon trees
    are doing very well.
    My trees are 4 years old and over 5' tall
    Nothing comes up at the ground level and branches are pale.
    I am very grateful that you invested the time and effort to reply.
    Hala

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

Hi Hala - You could try scratching the bark on a branch or trunk to look for any green. If there is some, it may be still asleep. If not, for whatever reason, it may have died back to the roots. I've grown up with them for > 40 years and they are quirky. I was looking up where you are from (around Toronto?) and I am sure that you had freezes this past winter. In fact, most of us got hit with what is being called the "Easter Freeze" and if you are growing in the Toronto area, so did you.

I think that what could have happened was that those that are not budded out may have actually started budding before the others due to the mild weather in March and then may have gotten blasted back in early April, where the others may have still been dormant enough and got through the cold snap and have been leafing normally. I know that I and my family have had various shrubs impacted by that cold snap and a 2nd cold snap and a freak snow on 4/16. After that, some shrubs leafed and flowered normally but their neighbors got damaged and are still trying to recover. I would still wait to see what they do.. They may eventually leaf out very late and with very few leaves by using their backup buds, but hopefully by next year, they will be back to normal.

Often June is a make it or break it month and I know I can get impatient. I certainly have been impatient with my Profusion beautyberry that is only now starting to leaf out whereas my sister's (bought and planted the same time) has been leafing out since the end of April.

Hope your plants recover and give you beautiful blooms! :-)

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Jenny.
    I scratched the bark on trunks and can see green,but only on the lowest part of the trunk,about a foot and half from the ground,the rest up doesn't show any green.I wonder if i should cut it off.
    I live in central Etobicoke and remember frost patches on my balcony in April.you must be right,could stop the development of leaves.
    Thank you for your friendly assistance,i appreciate it very much.
    Hala.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    16 years ago

Hala - it stopped the development of leaves on my itea (which just started sprouting from the base last week). on my plum tree (which I've had for 3 years this year and is completely leafless although all the branches are green when scratching), and one of my honeysuckles (which looks like it may FINALLY be swelling leaf buds). It's so frustrating I know!

You might still wait (they probably look horrible right now) and see if they do sprout lower down and if they do, you can maybe cut above that point. I am going to try to wait until the end of June to see what some of my leafless shrubs do. I had a beautiful "Blushing Bride" Hibiscus syriacus a bunch of years ago where the same thing happened (late frost and I should have moved it in a more protected spot on my balcony due to the drying winds) and it never did recover. I do want to try one again one of these days... I just have to find room! LOL

Just so you know, all my many shrubs are in containers on a balcony on the 18th floor of a hi-rise. :-)

• halaeva
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Jenny for your prompt reply showing me your understanding for my anxiety.
    Your leafless shrubs-maybe they were excessively productive in leaves and fruits last year,therefore they could be exploded and late in groving leaves.I am positively sure that you know that,sometimes things does not come in to our mind in nesessity.I hope your shrubs will do well giving you a joy and peace of mind.My best.
    hala.

p.s. I have seen pictures of your balcony garden in your page.
    Impressive garden! Beautiful pictures!
    it is really something,Inspirational!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus