Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokiehorticulture

Hibiscus seedlings

hokiehorticulture
14 years ago

I know this has probably been brought up before in this forum, but I couldn't find anything detailed in my searches. I got ahold of some assorted tropical hibiscus through the mail (roots in peat moss) and have them rooted and sprouting in water at the moment... I am going to transplant them into a full sun garden and am just wondering if they are going to flower this year (possibly just late?) or if I am going to have to just deal with a season of foliage, overwinter them inside and hope for blooms next year? Any help would be appreciated.

Hokiehort

Comment (1)

• brianmkerr
    14 years ago

Hi Hokiehorticulture, If they are seedlings, they take from 6 months to several years to flower - depends on genes they have, time of year (environment / your particular climate)and cultural conditions you provide. If they are wood from a mature flowering plant, they will flower within a few weeks to a few months of a rooted cutting being put in pot or ground - again depends on genes, season / weather and cultural conditions. Warm to hot weather (20 - 30c), in good rich soil or good quality potting mix, kept moist(but not wet)and fed well / regularly with a food high in potassium, will get fastest results.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Brian.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville