Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parupudi_gw

Hardy Hibiscus for Texas

parupudi
16 years ago

Hi,

I live in Katy(30 Miles WEST of HOUSTON). Last year i got 6 hibiscus and all of them except one died. I waited very long till about end of April to see if the rest will come back but didn't.

I need some names of Hibiscus which are very hardy here in Houston even to withstand the severe winter like the one we had last year.

Also, is it mandatory to prune the Hibiscus when they are small? I want them to grow big. But if i prune them like i did last winter, they may die again. What winter care should be taken for these plants to survive here in Texas?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• parupudi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also, anyone ever got a Wild Violet Hibiscus here in Texas? If yes, can you please tell me where i can order it? I heard that it is pretty hardy and blooms all year except for few weeks.

• sewnmom7
    16 years ago

parupdi, i live in abilene,& i have a confederate rose,[ h ardy hibiscus]it stays out all winter,& we have pretty rough winters compared to houston.i don't prune mine till frost gets 'em,then i have cuttings to share ,or root out .the frost comes around early nov.i have some seeds of confederate rose & some tropical hibiscus,different colors/ they should come back next spring.lmk,molly

• rojo136
    16 years ago

There are a couple of perenial hibisucs that should do great in Houston. I'm 2/12 N of there and mine have wintered very well.

Texas Star or 5 Star Hibicus. Bright red flowers, grows 5 ft tall.

Confedarate Rose is very tough, only blooms in late summer though.

Hardy hibsicus (I have no idea what the real name is) - big pink blossoms 6 to 8 inches across, leaves look a lot like a sycamore

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Most any but the tropical forms will do fine in Houston. I have talked with quite a few my cutomers that live in the Houston area and many of them grow the tropical forms with a great degree of success by their accounts. But there are dozens fo cultivars that can be grown from cutting or purchased as plants or even grown from seed. I think I remeber last year burpee having Luna Blush which is one of my current favorite hardy (perennial hibiscus:) Mine are left outside in the containers over winter and they are just about to flower (they have dozens of buds on them as I write this post. Any day now they will bust out in their full glory. Hope this helps, Happy Growing David

• geena
    16 years ago

hi everyone,
    i am new to this site. i live in woodville texas. that's in southeast texas. i would like to offer some of my seeds. i have 3 different confederate rose plant seeds.
    1.double bloom, color changing. changes from white to pink.
    2.single bloom, color changing. from white to pink.
    3.single bloom, solid color pink. doesn't change colors.
    i will sell 30 seeds. 10 of each kind. for $5. you can email me at (ledezma.geena@gmail.com)if you have any questions
    ya have a great day!

• kmonceaux
    15 years ago

I have a few hibiscus myself and I live in Groves just south of Beaumont. I cut mine back every winter and they come back every year prettier than ever. I have a red double bloom, a peach double bloom, a red texas star hibiscus and a white texas star hibiscus.

• jaylene
    14 years ago

I have a question for kmonceaux. I live in New Braunfels. I just bought a double red celia hibiscus. Ive planted it in the ground. Is it possible to keep it alive through the winter and if its planted in the ground how far do I cut it back for the winter?

• drngood
    13 years ago

I am getting ready to cut my Hibiscus back but don't know when before winter hits. Can anyone help?

HELP!!

I aso have some Texas Red Star Hibiscus that have come up and died back earlier. Will they come back in the Spring?

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery