Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skywalker45

Question about unknown Hibiscus

skywalker45
18 years ago

Hello All. This weekend my wife and I purchased 2 very beautiful Hibiscus bushes (the woody bush variety). We don't know the variety (hybrid name) but one is orange and the other is peach. They are not bi-colored--they are solid. My question is this and it should be easy for anyone to answer but I can't seem to get a straight answer. In my area you can see many hibiscuses growing outside and planted in the ground. There are several of these at our church and in yards in many places. It is difficult to tell though if those are a perennial variety of the herbal type of hibiscus or a shrub (the exotic kind) that can't stand our sometimes harsh winters. Is it OK to plant these in the ground? If not I would assume it's fine to leave them outside in the warm months (probably transplanted to a larger planter and then moved inside for the winter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

• minibim
    18 years ago

If you had said any other colors, you would have to provide more details for an answer.

Peach and orange colors mean you have H. rosa-sinensis, it's the ONLY species these colors occur in. H. rosa-sinensis is otherwise known as "tropical hibiscus" and you will most definitely need to keep them inside during the winter.

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

The American Hibiscus Society's web page has lots of info, including how to care for these plants in colder climes: http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/index.html
    Warning:
    One you visit this site...you may become addicted....... ;)
    Barb

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville