Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamela_jo_gw

hibiscus cutting from Hawaii

pamela_jo
17 years ago

My son broght me a hibiscus cutting back from his trip to Hawaii. It came packed in a plastic pouch with some peat moss. The package did not contain very detailed instructions. One end of the stick is covered in red wax and the other is bare. This may sound like a silly question, but which side do I plant in the soil or vermiculite? Also, any tips on how to plant this would be helpful. I am assuming I have to plant in vermiculite in order to 'root' the plant and then plant in soil. All tips welcome! I really want to see this plant thrive as it is a gift from my son.

Comment (1)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

Pamela,
    As far as which end to root, I'm betting it's the end with the wax, (which should be removed before rooing). Are there any leaves or if not, can you tell which way they pointed when they were on the stick? They should point up.
    Also, the top end of a branch is narrower than the lower portion.
    You're right about using vermiculite; that what I used and had success for the first time in rooting cuttings.
    There's a great site that give instructions on rooting cuttings and growing hibiscus up North. I use it a lot.
    Good Luck!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio