Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgirase

Hardy hibiscus

sgirase
11 years ago

I have 7 hardy hibiscus that I planted 2 years ago from bareroots. Its end of May and they are just starting to show new stems. More over they just have 2-3 stems and just grew 2-3 feet last year. They are on the north side of the house near the foundation. They do get 3-4 hours of morning sunlight. Are these guys just slow to start off or they are distressed? I am not sure why they are not full grown yet.

thanks

Comments (3)

• rosco_p
    11 years ago

I don't know what zone you are in...but I am in zone 6 Southwestern Ontario Canada and my hardy hibiscus are just a couple of inches tall at present. With the heat we are having presently they should be getting a growth spurt real soon. One thing about Hardy Hibiscus is early season patience until they really begin to start and then they won't be stopped.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

They are among the last perennials to start up in the spring. But, the basic problem is not enough sun. They really need full sun.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Right, I am here in Texas and mine was much slower than my Texas Star Hibiscus and I was beginning to believe it had died. It is now over 5 foot tall and just getting ready to bloom.