Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenecho

Allergies and Hibiscus

goldenecho
10 years ago

I've read that hibiscus is a good plant for people with allergies because the pollen is heavy, but I was just in the car with one and my eyes were just going nuts (itching, watering). I'm thinking maybe this was a special circumstance...an enclosed space, and the plant was right in front of the air conditioning vents which would have blown the pollen around, heavy or not.

If you suffer from allergies and have hibiscus (or had them), have you ever had and problem with them?

(There was also a lantana...but it was in the back seat, not right next to me in the front seat like the hibiscus, and it was a smaller plant, and is also supposed to be good for people with allergies, so I'm thinking that's not it)

Comments (6)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Goldenecho,
    This is news to me, but I have read articles of hibiscus and their unique properties. For allergies, I direct people to the local 'whole foods' stores and purchase honey from local 'hives'. This honey is made from local plant pollen and usually helps. Got to love home remedies.
    Ed

• merkity
    8 years ago

everyone has different allergies - but the hibiscus don't seem to bother me - and the tropical ones i have, don't have a scent...

• Mishe Pierce
    5 years ago

I just bought a big one today for my living room and my allergies are going nuts!!

• dbarron
    5 years ago

Well then, you're probably specifically allergic to hibiscus, or it could be mold spores in the soil.

• PRO
    Thunder Ridge INC
    3 years ago

i strongly believe that hibiscus is a very cheap, readily available filler for teas sold in supermarkets!!!!! They all have hibiscus and I’m upset about this bit of information. I got horribly sick from this plant....I don’t recommend this for anyone!!!!! This is an American invention to cheapen our foods!! Stay away.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner