Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krismast

What's wrong with my Hibiscus?

krismast
10 years ago

This is an Erin Rachel Hibiscus that I about about two months ago. While it was indoors I bare rooted it and planted it in Al's Gritty Mix. Since then it dropped all of its original leaves and has replaced it with these. However these leaves seem stunted and won't grow. There does appear to be some dieback in the top branch. I am not sure what's going on. I haven't been overwatering it, and I feed it regularly with Foliage Pro. I just recently have started to slowly move it outside to more daylight. Do you think I just need to be patient and see how it reacts to more heat?

Thanks for your help!

Kristopher

Comments (2)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Kristopher,
    This is not a recommended method for some hibiscus. I would not recommend 'Bare Rooting' Hibiscus, unless they are a very robust CV. Erin Rachel is, and will recover over time. I was forced to do this with my Red Riding Hood, and it took several months to recover. I would cut the feedings and let the roots establish. Warm early morning direct sun will help. I have attached a photo of RRH currently after a bare rooting and a branch pruning.
    Remember that H R-S like TLC and slow changes.
    Hope this helps,
    Ed

• krismast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the leaves that were left have fallen off and the branch die back has continued. It does not look very promising. I may have to get a replacement plant and take better care of it.

Kristopher