Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbangardner100

dead or alive Hibiscus ?

UrbanGardner100
9 years ago

I have a hibiscus tree that is in pretty rough shape after a pretty crappy winter even though it was in a sunlit storage place the cold still got to it. Now I'm just trying to figure out whether I should keep hope alive or not. Here is a pic to try to figure it out.

Comments (3)

• Gutzmek
    9 years ago

UrbanGardner100,

Looks like you have some damage at the base of the plant, and this could be a problem. I lost 3 tropical plants this past winter from wilt disease. Best analogy is like a cut you might get, left untreated and exposed to elements, it could become infected. If completely ignored, gangrene sets in, and major tissue pieces die.

What does the rest of the plant look like?

Ed

• UrbanGardner100
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh gosh that sounds awful. I was hoping there would be something I could do for it but I'm pretty sure it's a goner. So unfortunate because it had made it through a good portion of the winter. I guess I'll have to stick to winter hardy plants.

• merkity
    9 years ago

have you tried the cut test? you cut off the end of a branch and see if its green inside - if its all brown and dried out, cut farther down ....hopefully you find some green in there...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus