Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olathemom

Help! Hibiscus is trouble

OlatheMom
10 years ago

Hello, Sorry I am new to the forum and really need help. I don't have much of a green thumb. I got this plant about two weeks ago and it was in great shape, now it looks like this. At first some leaves at the bottom were yellowing, and falling off. I read that may be because of inadequate drainage, so I drilled some holes so that it can drain better. Now all the leaves and most of the blooms are drooping as you can see from the picture. Not sure what I need to do. It is on my porch, so it gets a decent amount of sunlight, but is still a shaded.

Comments (5)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

OlatheMom,
    I think you are on the right track. This looks like a moisture/transplant issue.
    Have you re-potted the plant in the last few weeks? If so, it is adjusting to the shock.
    Next, I live in Wichita, and the recent storms may have over-watered your plant. Can you place it on an easterly side with sun until 12 PM and protect it from this weeks projected storms? Yes, I review the weather forecast daily to determine my plants needs. Hibiscus like moisture, but react to 'wet feet'. I suggest a dry out. Once the surface of the soil dries a bit, use a finger to dig down. If the soil is still moist, wait a day.
    Hope this helps
    Ed

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

*removed double post*

This post was edited by Gutzmek on Fri, May 24, 13 at 19:09

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

OlatheMom,
    I have a couple of older Erin Rachels that are free to a good home. Please let me know if you are interested.
    Ed

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Here is a flower image.

• Evie1978
    10 years ago

What type of potting mix do you have your hibiscus planted in? Hibiscus do require adequate drainage and it looks like the container / urn you have it in, I would stick with flat bottomed pots with large holes in the bottom. It may have collected water around the roots on the side of urn. I would transplant it again but use a mix of 70% reg. potting soil and 30%perlite, wait a few days and water till the water comes out the bottom of the pot, since you hibiscus is in the shade its not gonna use a ton of water to drink because shade equals less watering. Also I would try and acclimate it to the sun gradually hibiscus are sun lovers and the more they get the more they grow and flourish, being said that they will also require more water because they dry out faster. But remember when acclimating 1 week in shade then gradually work it into more sun. Have fun and watch her grow -Evie

Sponsored