Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No sign of life?

Posted by jannabeen z5 US/z6 Canada (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 14:01

I planted a Hibiscus moscheutos Pinot Noir last summer. It is supposed to be hard to zone 5, and it's in a warm and sunny area of my garden. However, there are no signs of life and the branches are like tinder. Should I prune it to the ground or is it dead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No sign of life?

Jan, give it time..It's still too soon..My hardy hibs start popping out about June. Flowers open in July..Toni

o

My hardy hibiscus' don't show a sign of life until June. Every year I worry about them and every year they come back. One is 5 years old the other is on it's 3rd year. Don't worry, it will come. :)

o

I would scratch the "bark" "trunk" on the bottom with your nail. Is it green? If so it is alive.

o

I live in Northern Indiana & I am just now barely beginning to see signs of life in my hardy Hibiscus. You have to look right at the very base of the old growth stem, right where it meets the dirt. You might see some tiny signs if life sprouting, if not right now, by the beginning of June at the latest. These babies are slow to start - be patient.

o

If you want to give them a boost, here is a trick. Clear all mulch from around the plant after last frost has passed so the sun can reach the soil. Cut a piece of black plastic 18 x 18 inches. Cut a 6 inch circle in the middle. Put the plastic around the old stems and weigh down the corners with rocks or bricks. Water with a 20-20-20 fertilizer such as MiracleGro at 1/2 strength. The black plastic will heat up the soil and the fertilizer gives the plant a boost. After it gets a few inches tall, remove the plastic. Works every time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here