Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus bud stems being cut (?)

Posted by Marty_K SW Florida (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 14:22

We have a large hibiscus plant, rather common in this area, that has had many blooms, and now has many buds; but recently a lot of the buds have been dropping off. There is no sign of insects; the buds are unopened and look very healthy. The puzzling part is that it looks like the stems about an inch below the bud have been cut off cleanly with a knife.

Would anyone know what might be causing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus bud stems being cut (?)

I have cut open several of the buds and see no signs of insects. I could post a picture of these if someone can explain the way to upload it to the forum or gallery.

Thanks

o

Here's the current link

Here is a link that might be useful: pbase

o

• Posted by Rjj1 Ok USDA Zone 7 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 4, 05 at 17:08

Hibiscus will abort blooms because of different types of stress. Temperature swings seem to do it more than anything else here.

Hows your weather been?

randy

o

Relatively slow change over the last couple of weeks from the 70s to the high 80s. Typical weather change here this time of year. Other hibiscus plantings in the immediate area don't seem to be affected the same way.

What puzzles me most is how and where the stem breaks. Did you see the picture? (Link: "pbase" in my last follow-up.)
Is that typical?

o

• Posted by Rjj1 Ok USDA Zone 7 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 5, 05 at 9:55

Yes, that tends to be where they drop the bloom.

Is there something different about the location of this plant compared to the others? Does the ground hold less or more water than the others? Does it look as healthy? Color similar? Leaf texture firm and glossy?

randy

o

Even though you don't see any bugs with naked eye, mature bud drop is usually a sign of thrips.

Also if this particular plant is a double bloom, "doubles" have a tendency to drop blooms every now and then for no apparent reason.

o

My hisbiscus is doing the same thing. Did you find a cure?

o

I had the same problem here in the Tampa, Florida area. The bud drop could be caused by gall midge. Place some buds in a sealable plastic bag. After a day or two, you may see the very small yellowish worm-like larva on the plastic. Control the midge affecting buds with Orthene sprays as needed. Hope this helps. See link below for further info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better Lawns

o
RE: distorted flowers and leaves

I am in central Florida a great place for hibiscus. Though a great location for these plants I am having problems with them. A few of my hibiscus plants have accordian type leaves and distorted flowers. What is causing this? How can I prevent it. thank you in advance,

o

After they bloom when dead flower falls off do you leave the stem WILL it rebloom or do you cut the stem of the already bloomed flower off.Please help?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here