Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Rose of Sharon and poison ivy:(

Posted by jewelfyre nj (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 14:36

Hi! I'm new here and I'm a brand new first time gardener:)
We bought a house and it came with some big, tall Rose of Sharons around the edge of the backyard. Unfortunately there is poison ivy winding it's way all through the rose of sharon. I bought some Bromide Brush Killer, but it says not to use it near my bushes and things:( What can I do to kill the poison ivy, but not the rose of sharon?

Thanks in advance for your help!,

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Rose of Sharon and poison ivy:(

Wow, that's going to be tough. Poison ivy is really hardy and tough to kill. Be careful!

RE: Rose of Sharon and poison ivy:(

Keep pulling it out like a weed. It will take time. Just try to pull it off your rose of Sharon and then keep it off it by just pulling. There is nothing that can kill just the ivy and not rose of sharon since they are both broad leaf plants.

RE: Rose of Sharon and poison ivy:(

Trim up your rose of Sharon bushes like small trees. Keeping the bottom bare. When the poison ivy starts to grow, spot spray it with the bush killer. Use very little. Just on the Ivy only.
Wash you hands and body with Head n Shoulders shampoo. It stops the itch and gets rid of the ivy oil. It really works for me. Or; Kill them all and replant the rose of Sharon next year. (don't like the second one). Happened to us once.

RE: Rose of Sharon and poison ivy:(

First you need to be sure to have good skin protection then you need a few freezer Zip lock type bags; depending on how much poison Ivy you have. Get some liquid stump killer. Push as much of the poison ivy you can into the bag and pour in the stump killer and zip up the bag and secure it so the vine can drink to its hearts content. Check from time to time to see that it always has enough liquid. It will drink itself to death if allowed. Then you need to take a good wash with cold soap and water or diluted bath in Clorox.

RE: Rose of Sharon and poison ivy:(

Clorox is an old treatment. Burns and disinfects. The Head N Shoulders is mild and works. Try it.
Been there.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here