Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

Texas Star Cutting

tcharles26
17 years ago

I had a very tall texas star hibiscus. It grew to about five feet in less than two months. A thunderstorm knocked down some of the larger canes the other night. I took several cuttings (leaving only one leaf per cutting), dipped in rooting hormone and potted in a mixture of perlite and peat moss. I've been watering frequenlty past few days and keep the cuttings in a sunny spot. Am I wasting my time with this or will these take? About how long should this take. I ask because they dont look so great. And I guess I don't need more plants. I was just ticked off because the wind messed up a great plant. I've done this before with tropical varities, but not a coccineus.

Comments (2)

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    17 years ago

I believe your cuttings should take but you need to take them out of the sun and, instead, keep them in a shaded area while they are recovering and developing a new root system. You will know when they have developed roots because you will see new growth developing on the cuttings.

When you do see the new growth, you can then begin to expose the new little plants to sun. Start gently with morning sun only for about a week before they get the full dose of sunlight all day.

Sorry about your wind and the damage it did to your plant.

June

• debbiep_gw
    17 years ago

If they don't root they grow easy from seed and mine bloomed the first year.Good luck.Debbie

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living