Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosscreeker_gw

yellow leaves

mosscreeker
13 years ago

My tropical hibiscus (gypsey dancer) is getting yellow leaves which eventually dry and fall off. Help

Comments (3)

• happy_2010
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I bought hisbiscus this year. I potted into terracota containers and kept near north-west balcony where it gets sun in the early morning and late afternoon. I didnt use really any fertilizer but good organic soil mix I used. it did so well that in a month I had good bloom and good green leaves. suddenly I felt the container is small so transferred to big plastic container for the first time. put E B Stone's rose and flower food.
    but within a week all leaves are tunring yellow all over.

what could be the reason?
    is it,
    1)plastic container?
    2) over -water
    3) under water?
    4) missing nutrients?
    5) transplanting shock?(I re-potted from nursery pot to my big size plastic container)

please help! I prefer only organic stuff so any organic stuff would be good. miracle gro is big sh*** of chemical.

• radovan
    13 years ago

hello hello there i hope i help you: i did have the same problem leafs were yellowing and almost all gone, then i removed that thing under container, i don't know how you call it but the thing that collects water under container, could it be "saucer"?. it was to much water. oh boy right after that my hibiscus started improving and within a month it started looking the healthiest hibiscus and is bursting to flower. hibiscus likes moisture but not to stand in the water. water it and water has to drain and not to collect in the root system.

best wishes

• jak66
    13 years ago

@happy2010 Hibiscus have special requirements and do not like bloom boosters high in phosphorus or wet feet. Both can cause leaf yellowing and drop. EB Stone's is 5-6-3 which could be the problem if you are using it full strength. Go with something higher in potassium and use it 1/2 strength. Something near a 3-1-5 ratio will work better since Hibiscus need more potassium (K) than anything.

I've done it too. I assumed those large blooms needed more phosphorus and gave mine a formula for African Violets. Within days, the newly formed buds and leaves started to turn yellow and fall off. Live and learn.

Here's a good guide:
    http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/feeding.htm