Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

Schizostylus and Acetosella

tcharles26
17 years ago

I purchased (via mail order) one Hibiscus Schizostylus and one Hibiscus Acetosella (Japanese Lantern and Maple Suger respecitively) Neither is hardy in my zone. I intend to heep them as container plants. Anyone in Zone 8 or close have problems overwintering these indoors? I'll probably just leave them outside and periodically roll them into the garage if it gets too cool. Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

I'm in the cooler portion of zone 9 and I haven't had any prolems with my schizopetalis, which I'm assuming is closely related to you Japanese Lantern.
    I have tried to overwinter aacetosella and didn't have much luck, mainly because my dog decided it needed to come out of the pot and get root trimmed.... I don't see why it wouldn't overwinter as well. But, before mine went bye-bye, it was getting VERY infested with aphids, much more so that the schizopetais or my rosa-sinensis.
    Barb

• tcharles26
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I didn't type that correctly I meant schizopetalis not schizostylus, I don't know where I came up with that. Thanks for the feedback. Since you brought up the aphids, what works well on them in your experience? Someone told me Malathion defoliates hibiscus. Any good alternatives?

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

You will love both those plants. Did you know you can use the acetocella leaves in stir fry???! Yummy! I've attached a link for recipes.
    I use diluted dishwashing liquid for the aphids. You have to use it at least once a week and cover the plant. Cheap and effective!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus recipes

• debbiep_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,wanted to comment on the acetosella.I had two last year,one planted in the ground and one in a large pot.Both grew 15 feet plus.No blooms until after Thanksgiving,close to Chritsmas I believe.I didn't protect them and thus far neither has returned.Luckily I had rooted two so I plan to pot them up but try to keep them around 4ft tall.I grow them for the foliage.I live a hour from Fla and thought they would overwinter but so far they haven't come out..Debbie

• tcharles26
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you both for the insight.

They both showed up today, along with a Blue Bird Syriacus. I worked on them most of the afternoon and everything is in containers, (large, 20 gallon + terra cotta pots). The Syriacus might earn a permanent spot in the ground if I like it, but its a pretty wimpy seedling.

Debbie, you said you didn't protect them (the acetosella) and they're not coming back, like I said, I'm perfectly willing to roll them into the garage on cold nights, Do you think they should be ok? My winter might be a tiny bit colder than yours, but last winter was ridiculously mild here I think we had three freezes and nothing worse than 27, 28 degrees. So, I'm guessing my garage was never below 40. And even if it was I could easily fix that.

But I like the tropicals and it's worth a small amount of effort to get them back next year, if it works that is. Has anyone tried my approach and failed? I like these plants alot, but wont buy new ones every yeay, I'd rather just get the moschetus, coccineus, or mutabilis.

Any thoughts?

• debbiep_gw
    17 years ago

I'm sure if the acetosella is protected it would be fine.My two rooted cutting were in a protected area and never lost a leaf.Our winter was mild also..Debbie

• jxa44
    17 years ago

Where did you get your acetosella? I'd like to add one to my garden.

Thanx.

• beachbarbie
    17 years ago

I got mine via a seed trade here in years past. This year, I got two from the nursery where I work.
    Barb

Sponsored