Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrcareless

please advise

mrcareless
15 years ago

hello gardeners, please give me your advise with my situation:

I plan to grow these beautiful flowers along my 150 ft fence, with alot of sun.

I live in Utah so i need a type that survive in zone 6.

i prefer bushes for privacy, big flowers, i really like Lord Baltimore but too bad that they are not bushes.

I have a hard time finding places to sell then locally with varity. please prefer me to a reputation online store with quality and bargain. (because i might need about 20-30)

Thanks; best regaurd.

Comments (2)

• arctictropical
    15 years ago

Hi mrcareless. I'm not sure where you live, but I live north of you in Cache Valley and have grown hardy hibiscus for over 25 years. They have always survived our zone 4 winters. All you need to do is mulch them well in the Fall. I assume you have tried buying them at Valley Nursery in Uintah, J.J. Nursery in Layton or Willard Bay Gardens in Willard. That's where I have bought most of mine. I have purchased some from Plant Delights Mail Order in either North or South Carolina. They have all sorts of tropical-type plants good for colder climates. One of the best is "Moy Grande". They have HUGE rose-red flowers on plants that grown higher than "Lord Baltimore". For true bushes, you might try "Rose of Sharon" hibiscus since they have woody branches that do not die back in the Fall. They even survive our winters up North.

• mrcareless
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arctictropical, you been grown hibiscus for as long as i been around! i live in saltlake valley and only see them sold in Homedepot, and they only have light blue/white Rose of Sharon, which are small rose and faded color. I am seeking for more tropical look, preferable red color with huge rose. I also want to use them as a natural fence since my back yard run along a trail, therefore bush is a must. I checked out Plant Delights today, they have great selection! How tall their hibiscus come? Does it worth to invest more money for bigger plants? Thanks

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County